Bearcats MVB Signs Four More

Categories: Uncategorized

The Columbia Bible College Bearcats are pleased to announce four new signings for the upcoming 2016-17 season.

Mark Goertzen, a 6’1 Outside hitter from Richmond BC brings a wealth of playing experience to the rebuilding Bearcat squad. Playing his high school ball at Richmond Christian, he received a First Team All-Star selection at Single A provincials and was part of the recent FVVC U-18 Provincial silver medal squad. Coach Warkentin observes, “Mark has a very high volleyball IQ and has been around the game for a long time. His addition to our squad will improve us in many ways, both on the court as well as off it. Along with his strong work ethic and pursuit of excellence, he also represents the character athlete we want to see in our program.”

When asked why he chose CBC and what he is most excited about, Mark replied “I really feel God pushing me towards missions and CBC can help me achieve this goal and learn more about what my future may hold for me, while also letting me enjoy playing volleyball at the same time.  I’m excited to meet the people at CBC and make some new friends in a Christian environment as well as to solidify my faith through studies. I’m also looking forward to the next level of volleyball which hopefully will push me to the best of my abilities.”

Robin Kohl, a 6’0 Right-side out of Hepburn, Saskatchewan brings a winning history to the program having won AA Regional Championships from 2012-2014, placing first at AA Provincials in 2014, achieving a silver medal at the Sask Volleyball Sask Cup, and was the provincial U-18 beach volleyball champion. “Along with his extensive playing experience, Robin displays a strong desire to see how sports, and volleyball in general, has the opportunity to live out one’s faith.” Coach Warkentin states. “His character and experience will be a great addition to our squad and campus community.”

When asked why he chose CBC and what he is most excited about, Robin shared “I chose CBC because of many reasons. The first reason was having a few friends that have been former or current students and have encouraged me to apply for this school. My second reason is I felt God leading me in this direction I have prayed lots about this decision and the lord seemed to make it pretty clear that this is where he wants me for now. Another reason is the volleyball program, I love volleyball with a passion and I heard that CBC’s volleyball program is outstanding so that was a big reason that interested me in this school. And the doctrine of CBC is very close to my own beliefs and I think it is important to gain an understanding of your own faith so that you have a solid foundation of what you believe in.  I am super excited to learn and gain an understanding of who God really is and the plans that he has for me. Another part I am very thrilled about is to play volleyball with guys that share the same beliefs and same goals as me. And to be able to spend time with so many different students making new friends and creating new relationships, it is going to be an amazing experience.”

Alex Read, a 6’2 Libero/Outsided hitter from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is a product of Centennial Collegiate High School a school which has produced previous Bearcat alumni Will Quiring, Matt and Mitch Erickson. Along with a successful high school career (2x City Silver Medalist, 1x City Champ, Provincial Silver Medalist), Alex has also had success with his club program, the Jr. Huskies (Top 5 in Country 2 years in a row, second at Best of the West and 3x Provincial Silver Medalists). Coach Warkentin states, “Alex has come up through a strong program. We have had quite a bit of familiarity with Centennial Collegiate and know that Adam Ewart runs a strong volleyball program there. Alex is a well-rounded, technical passer who should bring some stability to our reception next year.”

When asked why he chose CBC and what he is most excited about, Alex responded “I chose CBC because of the great environment on and off the court. I have talked with past alumni and heard only good things coming from this school. I am very excited to play with a solid group of guys on the court, and develop in our faith off the court as a team. I am excited to get started.  I’m looking forward to coming to CBC with my good friend Jeff and to be able to experience this new opportunity with him. I’m looking forward to competing in a competitive league with a group of guys that love the Lord and love the game of volleyball. “

Jeff Erickson – Following in the footsteps of his older brothers, CBC Men’s volleyball is excited announce the signing of Jeff Erickson. Jeff is a 5’11 setter out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. He is also a product of Centennial Collegiate and the Jr. Huskies volleyball club. Jeff is a talented athlete who brings a winning history to the Bearcat program. His resumé includes Mustang Volley All-star in 2014, MVP and Champions in 2015, Saskatoon City Champions (2016) and High School Boys Provincial Finalists (2016). “We are extremely pleased to have Jeff join our program,” expresses Coach Warkentin. “His competitive nature, knowledge of the game and drive for excellence make him an excellent fit for our program. These traits are combined with the character of a solid, young man which will only add strength to our existing squad.”

When asked why he chose CBC and what he is most excited about, Jeff said “I chose CBC because my two older brothers and three of my cousins have attended CBC and they recommended it to me. I want to get grounded in my faith, and CBC gives me the opportunity to play volleyball with other guys who share that same goal.  I am excited for the opportunity to play volleyball at the college level, meet new people, and study the Word of God.”